Friday, December 28, 2007

Amy the Audiobook Addict

As a long-time audiobook fiend, I am thrilled to be finally forced (thank you, TLC 2.0) to learn Overdrive. I guess I'd been procrastinating about it because I've been perfectly content thus far with Main Library's Books-On-CD collection for my listening pleasure. I've always liked to listen in my car during my daily commute to & from Hollwood to Ft. Lauderdale; I started out in the old cassette-deck days because I got hooked on the golden voice of George Guidall, my favorite reader. But now I see that I can also burn my very own CDs or transfer directly to my MP3 player - yea!
First, I took the Digital Media Tour, which I found to be amazingly detailed. If you cannot figure out how to access/use Overdrive after viewing that tutorial, you may as well give up on audiobooks... Next, I browsed and searched Overdrive in every possible way - by author, subject, immediate availablity, etc. Very very very easy to locate titles, but not many of the titles/authors I was seeking were included. I would have to say that the limited choice of books is the biggest drawback of Overdrive at the current time. I did select a couple of interesting titles: one is on HOLD and one is now Checked Out. (I don't think I would ever actually sit & listen at the computer, although I practiced using the Bookmark feature.) It was simple to download the Media Console, then simple to download my checked-out title, and subsequently totally simple to download it via the TRANSFER icon to my MP3!!! Listening to CDs in the car is great - but I only wish it was legal to listen on my scooter to audiobooks with headphones. And now let me leave y'all, and this great TLC 2.0 program, with a holiday audiobook video finale!



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: