Monday, December 24, 2007

Facing Up to Facebook (I'm shy - no, really)


I joined Facebook with some trepidation, as illustrated by these weenie pics I've inserted. Where o where is that fine line between nice networking and intrusive interaction?!! But so far I am pleasantly suprised - no weirdness yet. In fact, I already had a FRIEND awaiting me when I did the initial log in; one of my stepsons had invited me to join several weeks ago but I had totally forgotton to reply, oops. That is because Facebook is like so many other 2.0 technologies: wonderful but waaaaaaay too time-consuming for a person with a job, 2.2 kids, 1.5 pets, etc. I see my sons on My Space almost every hour of every day, so it is easy to conclude that social networking is the exclusive domain of kids, teens, and single people. However, the work-oriented groups one can join in Facebook obviously have value due to the free exchange of ideas. How much I will actually use this as a professional communication tool (rather than just for big FUN) remains to be seen. I did join the group called No, I don’t look like a librarian because that name made me laugh; hopefully, I will find some amusing people there. I also added the Funwall application, so please give me a shout out there!


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: